Now that we understand that the best use of our marketing dollars is finding our audience and being there, let’s investigate other “places” our audience is living. Here are some stats that will give you a clue:
- 91.4 million people in the U.S.(29% of the population) owned smartphones in the latter part of 2011 (an 8% increase from the preceding three month period) (Hubspot)
- Mobile coupons get 10 times the redemption rate of traditional coupons. (Borrell Associates)
- Smartphones have a 31% higher click through rate of ads than desktops. (Hubspot)
- By 2014, mobile internet usage is on trend to surpass desktop internet usage. (Microsoft Tag)
Mobile connected devices essentially go everywhere your audience goes and the stats don’t lie…people are using them. More and more people are seeing the value of researching products, shopping, locating businesses, sharing content while they are on the go. There is no excuse for idle time with a mobile device in our hands.
What are some ways your business can capitalize on this trend? Here are a few ideas to get you started:
1. Make sure your website is mobile-friendly
If you have a commerce site, develop an an application that makes purchasing easy. If there is a hint of difficulty when people arrive at your site, people will leave and never go back.
2. Develop your brand through a mobile-based advertising campaign
If people are more likely to click through on a mobile phone, then this is a great opportunity to bring people to your new mobile-friendly site or application. There are some great media buy tools that allow these campaigns to be targeted based on your current website traffic. These tools will give you extremely targeted demographics on your audience as far as age, purchasing habits, income, etc. and tell you what other websites your audience is visiting.
3. Keep mobile phones in mind as you develop your offline advertising and marketing
QR codes and the newly emerging Mobile Image Recognition tools are great ways to build interest in your campaigns. But don’t simply re-direct someone to your website on their phone (especially if it’s not mobile friendly). Send them to a landing page specific to the advertisement content. Give them a coupon. Give them something free. Make it interesting enough that they’ll actually stop to scan the code.
Ready to make your business mobile ready? Caliber Media Group can help.